Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling. Yearling (1995), Paperback, 96 pages


John Midas is a self centered little boy who loves chocolate more than anything and doesn't do what he is told. John makes a bad choice at a magical candy shop and finds himself with a special gift/curse: everything his mouth touches turns to chocolate. It is amazing how tiring and even dangerous this becomes and he soon realizes this is punishment for his previous selfish behavior. After he turns his own mother to chocolate with one kiss he learns his lesson and sets out to set things right. A typical 3rd grade book, mediocre writing and no surprises. I am told kids love it and the few I know who read it said they enjoyed it; but it seems a bit heavy handed and preachy to me. An award winner though and it made it onto NOVELISTS GREAT READ-ALOUDS, 3RD GRADE list, so I will keep an open mind and push it a little. (the jury is still out)

No comments: